Andhra University is not just one of the oldest educational institutions in the country, but is also the first to be conceived as a residential and teaching-cum-affiliating University, mainly devoted to post-graduate teaching and research.
The University was constituted in the year 1926 by the Madras Act of 1926. The 86-year-old institution is fortunate to have Sir C.R. Reddy as its founder Vice-Chancellor, as the steps taken by this visionary proved to be fruitful in the long run.
The University Presently is offering 313 Courses in Arts, Commerce, Management, Science & Technology, Engineering, Law, Pharmacy and Education. The University has five constituent colleges and four AU Campuses. The Colleges of Arts and Commerce is the biggest constituent college in the University with 26 Departments offering 42 courses including four Diploma Courses. The College of Science and Technology has 21 Departments, which offers 63 Courses including one PG Diploma. The College of Engineering has 15 Departments offering Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Research Programmes. The College of Law has been identified as an advanced Center in Law by UGC. The College of Pharmaceutical Sciences is first of its kind in South India, which is offering one UG Programme and six PG Programmes, besides Research Programmes leading to Ph.D. Degree. The AU campus at Kakinada (East Godavari District) has five Departments and the AU Campus at Etcherla (Srikakulam Dist) has Eleven Departments. The AU Campus at Tadepalli Gudem has four departments and AU Campus at Vizianagaram has five Departments.
The University is spread in a sprawling campus of 422 acres dotted with 121 buildings of Academic, Administrative and support services with a plinth area of about 20 lakhs sq.ft., and 324 staff quarters. Presently the University catering the Educational needs of five green districts of Andhra Pradesh namely Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, West Godavari, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam.